Friday, May 16, 2008

Stuff I did back in the day

Dammit Matt! You're always making me steal ideas from you! After listening to your track, I decided to look through my old files and give a listen to some of the stuff I used to mess around with. Now I'd like to share that with all of you!

Here are a few things that I fooled around with, live and with MIDI.

First, here's a short orchestral track I wrote containing trumpets, violins, a viola, cellos, a tympani and a flute. This was inspired by the many beautiful scores written by Nobuo Uematsu, primarily known for his compositions used in the Final Fantasy games of the past. Written in March '02.

This one's an introduction to a concept song that I wrote in 1999 and would still like to publish. It's tentative title is "Crusade" and is based on a medieval fantasy land where a war is waged between an overworld kingdom and demons of the underworld. The drums and bass are MIDI and I recorded two guitars on this. The intro depicts a battlefield scenario - it feels very intense!

"2 Your Memory," a short song in remembrance of all those who have passed on to the next life, afterworld, or any place we believe our loved ones go to when life ends. Recorded with four guitars. If I ever record this song for real, it would be played with three guitars and a bass and drums. Kind of like the original MIDI, originally written by my best friend and I in 1998.

Finally, I've got a "controversial" track from 2005 called "I Am He (Messenger of Satan)." It's really just my take on songs from bands like Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Venom and what not. It's got a nice groove to it, I think. The ending is very Mercyful Fate-ish (<3 Hank Shermann). It's only recorded with MIDI drums and a guitar, but with bass this song would sound so much better! I also have some "funny" lyrics for this song.

Ah, memories.

1 comment:

MrCHUPON said...

Ah Christ, don't make me regret not touching Cakewalk for years again.